Darkwood is set in a fictional universe, in 1987. Strange trees have overgrown everywhere, and within it strange creatures have taken shelter. You need to make your way out of the woods, and along the way you will encounter some of the most horrifying and surreal visual imagery you have ever seen in a video game. Darkwood is played from a top down perspective, and is a survival game. It’s is jam packed with atmosphere and mysteries to discover. Almost everyone is some degree of crazy and there’s danger lurking everywhere. You’ll come across villages where dark rituals are being performed. You’ll encounter folks who will kidnap you for no real reason. You’ll need to somehow survive and escape the woods, and head to mythical Road, though it has been said – Around here, all roads lead to nowhere.
Excellent gameplay loop
Rewarding and tense exploration
Score – 9.5/10
Darkwood provides a new perspective on survival horror.
Scavenge and explore the rich, ever-changing free-roam world by day, then hunker down in your hideout and pray for the morning light.
- Survival horror from a top-down perspective that is terrifying to play.
- No hand holding or quest markers. Test your skills and figure things out on your own!
- By day explore the randomly generated, ever-sinister woods, scavenge for materials, craft weapons and discover new secrets.
- By night find shelter, barricade, set up traps and hide or defend yourself from the horrors that lurk in the dark.
- Gain skills and perks by extracting a strange essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream. Watch out for unexpected consequences…
- Make decisions that impact the world of Darkwood, its inhabitants and the story you experience.
- Meet eerie characters, learn their stories and decide their fate. And remember – don’t trust anyone.
- As nights go by, the lines between reality and nightmarish fantasies begin to blur. Are you ready to step into Darkwood?